Greetings

• I am currently using SecuritySpy at our school and I have 63 ip cameras running being split up on 3 Mac mini's so that they can record in HD. But the Academy's director is not enjoying needing to go to 3 places to view files. So my question is this... I currently have a NVR box that was running the software we paid a lot for (Toshiba Surveillux) which is shutting down this year. It has 8 GB memory / 16 TB hard drives / i7 4790 8 core /. Intel 4600 Video. my Mac minis has a fusion drive and i5 processors, but can't record at 20 fps over 15 cameras. Can Shinobi handle 64 cameras at 1080 @ 20 fps on the old DVR Box? Or even the Mac minis? I just want to make my job easier for the Director and find a solution that will help. And since we are a school I don't have a huge budget at all. Please let me know what route I should take.

A. Use hardware on old DVR (could I install linux on external sata drive and run Shinobi from that while using the raid drives on box for storage? and yet keeping the Windows OS alone for testing).

B. install on Mac mini via macOS

C. Install on Mac by installing linux on it...

• administrators

Can Shinobi handle 64 cameras at 1080 @ 20 fps on the old DVR Box? Or even the Mac minis?

Currently the only way i can see Shinobi replacing your current system is if you can make use of the GPU. Simply put, you have a lot of cameras with a high FPS... following I'll assume a high bitrate to maintain quality. I have exposed some options to do that but I have yet to successfully achieve hardware acceleration with a chip that is not from NVIDIA...

Let's assume you get the configuration for hardware acceleration all working and you are using RTSP/H.264 cameras. The mac mini might be pushing your luck if it doesn't have at least 4GB RAM and a decent GPU. Lots of older mac minis sport an NVIDIA Geforce. If yours does it would make things really easy.

If the mac mini doesn't have the min specs mentioned above the i7 would be a better choice.

In either case installing Ubuntu would be the best for Shinobi. Mainly because it is the most supported OS for Shinobi and runs with the least trouble.

And since we are a school I don't have a huge budget at all.

No worries 🙂 Shinobi Pro is free for schools! That includes elementary schools, special needs programs, and universities 🙂

Looks like your connection to Shinobi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.