Newb Questions

• Wound up here by way of wikipedia, Ive been meaning to get into the NVR thing for a while & noticed that this seems more tuned compared to ZM.

In the not TOO distant future, Im planning on doing a few cameras at my home, I was wondering if there is anything in specific to look for or to make sure that a camera doesn't have?

Im looking at arecont cameras, but Im open to pretty much anything high res, packetized, and PoE

As far as hardware to run shinobi on, Ive noticed that ubuntu seems to be the go to OS; Is there anything proc/architecture-wise I should be on the lookout for here? In the future, I can see my self being concerned with a low power platform (as far as wattage burn)

How well does it behave virtualized?

I noticed that some plugins appear to be CUDA optimized -How viable would it be to run this on Shield/Jetson/Whatever the latest name for the Nvidia ARM GPU accelerated SoC is?

As far as planning/provisioning, is there any rough numbers or guide to how much more resources each additional cam consumes with & without plugins?

Are there resources to be able to use a joystick to control PTZ cameras?

• administrators

In the not TOO distant future, Im planning on doing a few cameras at my home, I was wondering if there is anything in specific to look for or to make sure that a camera doesn't have?

Well some cheaper branded cameras you should avoid as they have software to push frames to servers located elsewhere. Another thing to be sure of is that your camera can act like a regular IP Camera. I've been seeing a lot of "P2P" cameras where you cannot use them like a regular camera, you must use their included software.. and in many cases you will need an aggregation for this P2P connection to work... that sometimes being a third party server somewhere else in the world.

Im looking at arecont cameras, but Im open to pretty much anything high res, packetized, and PoE

I haven't heard of that brand before but if they are well reviewed and with good support then it may be worth trying. I prefer cameras with PoE, it makes setup easier in tough places where power isn't easily accessed.

As far as hardware to run shinobi on, Ive noticed that ubuntu seems to be the go to OS; Is there anything proc/architecture-wise I should be on the lookout for here? In the future, I can see my self being concerned with a low power platform (as far as wattage burn)

I personally use Intel chips for my dedicated machines running shinobi. I'd use AMD if intel wasn't so easy to get my hands on.

How well does it behave virtualized?

I did do a test on a VM for a few days and i have to admit the performance was horrible. Shinobi kept failing to reboot processes that had died... even with all the different checks that do keep processes alive.

I noticed that some plugins appear to be CUDA optimized -How viable would it be to run this on Shield/Jetson/Whatever the latest name for the Nvidia ARM GPU accelerated SoC is?

Well it is Shinobi itself that is cuvid (CUDA) compatible (ive tested it myself). Personally my trials with ARM have been less than successful. I think it may be a difference in how node.js works on it... I really haven't dug through the cause yet.

As far as planning/provisioning, is there any rough numbers or guide to how much more resources each additional cam consumes with & without plugins?

Currently i haven't done any real benchmarking... the best i can really say at this time is on an Intel Atom 1.6Ghz Dual Core it only adds about 1-3% for a 640x480 stream at 2fps

Are there resources to be able to use a joystick to control PTZ cameras?

currently there aren't.. if you know of any node.js packages that do that sort of thing id be happy to take a look 🙂

• Well it is Shinobi itself that is cuvid (CUDA) compatible (ive tested it myself). Personally my trials with ARM have been less than successful. I think it may be a difference in how node.js works on it... I really haven't dug through the cause yet.

Makes sense Ill put that on my to do list when I can score a jetson BDK <Note to self... 20% discount on these @ arrow, bust out some funding>

Currently i haven't done any real benchmarking... the best i can really say at this time is on an Intel Atom 1.6Ghz Dual Core it only adds about 1-3% for a 640x480 stream at 2fps

I hear ya, as far as camera specs I was planning on going for a bit more resolution & frame rate; Any ~rough guesstimation on load/utilization with 8-12MP cameras doing 7-30 FPS, if I were using say... an i5 NUC with 16gb?

currently there aren't.. if you know of any node.js packages that do that sort of thing id be happy to take a look

These guys seem to have something for pelco's, which I would assume to be fairly standard & theyre using an app on a phone as opposed to a physical joystick, but thats all client side stuff.

Might be worth a look...?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRMotnNFLpw
    https://github.com/Scoup/node-pelcod

• administrators

interesting, i am currently looking into ONVIF compatible methods but if this is a standard then its worth adding too.. i just don't know when i would go at it. Would be cool if you could make a mockup that uses this and showing a demo of some to see that it works (i dont have anything that uses peclod) and we can review the code with the community to see if they find success too and then we can go about adding it to the public repo 🙂

really cool find, thanks for sharing 🙂

Looks like your connection to Shinobi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.