Advice for custom server build

• I'm planning to build a rack-mount server for home use. I'm planning to run it headless with Ubuntu Server and use Docker to manage the various services I want to run. Besides Shinobi, I'm planning on running openHAB, a NAS, possibly Plex, and some lightweight things like Mosquitto.

I've never built a computer before, and am trying to make good decisions about component selections. I'd welcome input from those who've done this before, or even just have more experience with PC hardware.

One big question - since I'm running it headless I was planning on forgoing a video card... however, will this affect Shinobi's operation? I'm planning on recording video streams, running motion detection on them, and making them available for viewing via an http stream.

• have you looked at Open Media Vault
    its a Debian based OS
    it has got a addon for docker support
    its a NAS build OS

on the big question : it should not make affect it , but hope someone else will answer that for you

where you going to run Shinobi in docker on the Host OS ?
    that could make a affect the OS you going to use for the server

• @dome said in Advice for custom server build:

I'd welcome input from those who've done this before, or even just have more experience with PC hardware.

I'm no expert, but I do have some experience with maintaining my own server for ~10 years. I've used consumer PC's in the beginning then used commercial workstations (these are a pretty good choice), but unsurprisingly server hardware is best for this purpose. Out of lazyness I'm currently on a used Dell 1950 III (dirt cheap, insane CPU to price ratio) and it's doing well, although is quite power consuming. I've had a plan to buy a new Supermicro server board then fill it with used CPU and RAM. Math says it's the best value but I haven't done it yet.. so yeah.

Also I don't use shinobi anymore as it's buggy and fails to perform the most basic tasks like for ex. proper motion detection. Motion is my choice for now.

Looks like your connection to Shinobi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.